lundi 21 juin 2010

Work in Progress: A stand for my dress form

I finally found a stand for my soon-to-be-made dress form !

Today I first went to Eddie's Hang up display, a store that sells display supplies to retail stores. They have mannequins and stands and I was actually considering the idea of splurging on a $60 stand (wooden base with metal pole) as I want something that will look nicer than a PVC pipe shoved in a x-mas tree stand... I went with B. and he suggested I continue looking a bit into thrift stores before I get one of those. Not that there was anything wrong with them, but like I said, that would be the splurge solution, and I hadn't exhausted all the save solutions yet...

We then went to Dressew to look for fabric for our bedroom curtains. On the way there, we stopped at a small thrift store. I'd seen it before as they always have stuff out on the side walk, but never went in. It's kind of in the bad part of town and it looks a bit dodgy from the outside, but this time I went in and went straight to the back where the bigger furniture seemed to be.
And there I found it, a wooden floor lamp, for $15.99.



The lamp is actually all wired and functional and with a little bit of refinishing and a shade it would look pretty nice. People actually stared at us at Dressew and asked where we got it.
I did hesitate for a minute, thinking maybe it was a shame not to keep it as a lamp. But we don't actually have room or need for any more lamp in our apartment. Plus I figured we don't have to cut it or damage it in any way for it to be my dress form stand, so maybe in the long run, it might become a lamp again....

But for now it's going to be the leg(s) for my new twin...



The bulb mount is screwed on to this little bit of rod at the top. I can probably use it to attach a hanger or some sort of shoulder piece to support the form...I need to do a bit more thinking, though and a trip to the Home Depot should help me figure it out...

After he carried the lamp back home on his bike, jousting style, I've warned B. that he should expect a "duct-tape your girlfriend" workshop in the next few days...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire