The twill tape I ordered from Masterstroke eventually came in (they source it in Japan so it took a few weeks to arrive), and I was able to finalize this jacket, which had been waiting for about 6 months...
No biggie, it was intended as a spring jacket and guess what...it's spring! (well, according to the calendar anyway).
I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to do a proper shoot so in the meantime here's a little sneak peek:
The fabric is a medium weight cotton twill from Fabricland. I've only been there once and I wasn't impressed by the selection - a lot of it was loud polyesters. But I did find this fabric and it was exactly what I needed for the jacket.
The pattern is model 121 from the April 2010 issue of Burda magazine.
Because the fabric frayed so much, and because I like and neater finish, I added a lining for the bodice. It also makes it a little warmer which is good as I,m quite sensitive to cold and temperatures drop easily here in Vancouver. I didn't line the sleeves except for the cuffs because they are meant to be folded over.
I made a few adjustments to the pattern:
-the sleeves were made narrower by about 2 cm (3/4")
-I raised the armhole by .8 cm (3/8")
-lengthenned the sleeve about 1.5 cm (5/8")
-I widened the wrists by about .8cm
-Lenghtenned the body about 2xm (even though it is a "tall size" already)
-Added a lining with a pleat at center back for ease.
- I think the neckline on mine is a bit higher than the original as I added 5/8" seam allowances which the tape is now covering.
-And i just realized, looking at the Burda picture, that I didn't do any of the topstitching on the neckline. Oh well...
The lining is a stetch cotton. I finished the sleeves/shoulder allowances with white bias tape
And here you can kind of see the twill tape over the neckline and zipper. I can't believe it was such an ordeal to find the right color, but in the end I did and I am quite happy with the result.