Well, when B. saw the fabric, and later when I started putting the shirt together, he said he didn't like it, it looked like it was faded by the sun or that grease had been poured over it and who knows what else...
Well, ok, I can understand that not everybody would like the colors...But personnaly, I'm in love with this shirt... I think it has to do with the fact that once again, I mastered a great fit after a few muslins.
When I found the fabric, I thought it would be perfect for a button-down shirt. I had another pattern in mind but not enough fabric for it so I settled on Burda 114 from April 2010.
The piping idea came from here and here. For once I actually found exactly what I wanted at Dressew. The brown piping is cotton but it has a wax-y aspect, with a bit of shine so it could be leather...
Alterations I made to the pattern:
- sba (my first ever, it worked like a charm to get rid of some under-the-bust wrinkles)
- sway back adjustment
- narrow back adjustment (lower back only)
- lengthened bust above the waist
- lengthened sleeves by 5 cm (2") and made them narrower as well - I would love for Burda to add an elbow mark and lengthen/shorten line on their patterns for easier adjustments.
I also had to modify the button placket slightly to incorporate the piping.
The last thing i had to do on the shirt was trim the armhole allowance and do an overlock stitch... As I'm trimming, I start thinking: better be careful, this is how one makes a hole in a garment...Well, sure enough, fabric from the sleeve got in the way and before I noticed, I cut right through it...Wish i could just do Ctrl+Z on life sometimes...
I freaked out at first - no fabric left to recut a sleeve. But the hole was actually more of a slit and I managed to paste the two edges back together with fabric glue and with a tiny fabric scrap on the wrong side. I also added a square of fusible interfacing on the inside to make the patch stronger...I was so upset at first, for being so careless. Thankfully the fabric is forgiving and it's hardly noticeable now. B. says if you're close enough to see it then you're too close...:)
Aside from that, and a minor collar mishap, the shirt itself came together really easily.
And I am really truly happy with the final fit.
I know this is definitely a pattern I will be reusing, I already have a variation with gathers at the yoke that I want to make...more dart rotating action coming up, hopefully more successfully than that time.
This shirt is going to be perfect for fall, with skinny jeans and boots...For once I've finished something in time for the coming season...More Happy Dance action...