jeudi 9 février 2017

Knitting: Bray Cap

In December, B and I went away for a full month and traveled to Costa Rica and Chile. We were camping and backpacking most of the way, so we had to pack light. But even then I couldn't resist bringing a knitting project along, and what best project to bring than a hat.


In fact, I brought two hat projects with me, and this one happens to be #2, which I started on the trip but finished here last week.


The pattern is Bray Cap by Jared Flood for Brooklyn Tweed. It is a mixture of cables and lace, for a  slouchy result. I probably knit mine a little looser than intended as it seems to be slightly more slouchy on my head than on the pattern photos, but I do have a rather small head, so that could also be it.

The pattern includes instruction for tubular cast on, but I couldn't be bothered, so I just did a regular cast on.


Once I got the hang of the chart, the knitting was pretty straight forward and it came together quite fast (except I forgot to change needles between the ribbing and the main part, so I had to undo a dozen rows and start over with the right needles....).


I used Madelintosh yarn from my stash, Tosh Vintage in colorway Badland (worsted). It was really nice to knit with and a good combination with this pattern. Plus it's 100% superwash merino wool, and you know how I love me some merino.

I'm really happy with the result, I love the color, I think it works well with the stitch pattern, and judging from the photos, it definitely fits into my usual color scheme.


It has been snowing a lot in Vancouver, which is highly unusual (we barely ever get snow in the winter, let alone that much snow that sticks to the ground and stays over a few weeks), but I kind of like having that excuse to wear my new hat.


B, snapped all these photos yesterday morning, just before I left to go to work, and I just loved all of them, so yes, that's a lot of photos of my face for one single hat... But it's my blog after all :P

The other hat I made while on the trip was Purl Soho's Traveling Cable hat. I have to go dig through the thousands of photos taken over the month of traveling to collect some for a blog post, so hopefully I will be posting some "action shots" in the near future.

4 commentaires:

  1. This is lovely, great style for you! I love making beanies while travelling too!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you! Beanies are probably the easiest project to bring along on a trip! or maybe socks but I've never made them...

      Supprimer