dimanche 16 janvier 2011

Finished Project: Burda Vest 01-2009-124

I finished the vest yesterday, yeah !
I would have been done sooner if I hadn't somehow lost one of the buttons, and had to go back to the store to get another one (because of course I'd only bought 4 the first time), only to find out Button Button was closed for a few days. But that's it, it's finished now, and I am quite pleased with it (although you couldn't tell from my face in the picture below...)



It's a simple garment, but a vest is always a nice addition to a wardrobe. It works with many different outfits, over a dress shirt or a simple white tee. I have a few RTW vest in my closet but I figured one more wouldn't hurt :)


I bought this woven wool/silk blend a little while ago from Gala Fabrics. It was an roll end and on sale.
I used a boldly colored polyesther fabric for the lining. As I mentionned before I was planning on making a dress with it, but after consideration I'm not sure this fabric would be comfortable to wear over bare skin, and I might just save the rest for more linings. I do love the color palette and could also use it in accent in bias tape form (though it would be a total pain to make) or for small yoke pieces and such. We'll see.


The vest was pretty straight forward, no major difficulties. I cut a size 36 and didn't even have to make in fitting adjustment. I could have lengthened it a tad bit, but in the end I think it's fine.
I topstitched all the edges except for the armholes. I did the first one and ended up with some major puckering, it didn't look good at all so I decided to leave those out. I don't think it's really noticeable, and it doesn't bother me anyway...I also ended up cutting the pieces on the crosswise grain as I realized on the lengthwise grain the pin stripes would be horizontal...I haven't notice any problem with the way it hangs...


The pattern only calls for 2 buttonholes, and one button on the inside, but I did 4 functionnal buttonholes instead. I really love the buttons, I think they're a nice original detail on the vest which could otherwise be pretty blend. The buckle on the back is from Dressew.





This was a nice project that didn't take me much time and I enjoyed working on the details.
I'm not sure what my next project will be now, a jacket or a skirt probably....


and this is what happens when I get bored of posing "seriously"...

7 commentaires:

  1. This has a really flattering cut. Nice job.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Very nice! I want to make a vest as well (even have the fabric lying around), but I was thinking of making the pattern myself from an old boy's vest I have.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. The fit is fantastic! I wanna make one too!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. This is beautiful Mel! Very inspriring

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I'm hoping to make a vest one day. Kind of intimidating. This looks great though; I love the bound button holes!

    RépondreSupprimer