dimanche 4 mars 2012

Finished Project: My First Sweater

I knit my first weater!

My friend Marie and I decided to knit the same sweater together, to help each other through it.
We knit this model from Phildar magasine (see here)
The pattern calls for 4 stands of light-worsted yarn knit together on 9mm (US 13) needles, but we decided to go the cheap way and bought some chunky Lion's Brand yarn.

It was super fast to knit, and not overly complicated: It's one piece with increases/decreases at the shoulder for the sleeve. The collar is knit seperately at the end by picking-up the stitches at the neckline. That part was the trickiest one for me as I'd never picked up stitches before but in the end it turned out fine.







This sweater is VERY boxy. I cast on 2 stitches less than the smallest size (36/34) called for, and knit the height of the 38/40 size. I think it fits fine at the hip and waist but it's definitely too big around the chest.

The collar on mine doesn't stand up at all like the model's. It rolls down like a cowl neck. This probably has to do with my choice of yarn, which makes it heavier. It's also a bit too wide. I think I'm ok with it though...



In the end, it's not going to become my favorite sweater, but it's definitely a comfortable one when I stay home on the week-end or even for a walk outside in the winter under a big coat.

3 commentaires:

  1. It doesn't look too big in the bust in your pictures, and I like what the collar is doing. Well done! I have two sweaters that I've made the back half of over two years ago. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're never getting done. I appreciate that you have the patience to finish. Perhaps I need to find a knitting buddy also!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Trumbelina for your comment. In real life it looks bigger (it seems like photos are good to diguise flaws). This one came together really quickly, mostly because it's knit with size 13 needles. It was nice to have a knitting buddy as we would have a weekly knitting circle. That helped making progress for sure !

      Supprimer
  2. This is gorgeous, congrats!! And it looks fantastic on you, boxy or not :)

    RépondreSupprimer